Keeping yourself healthy should be a priority, even in these uncertain times. You may be thinking, “How am I supposed to do that while home-bound and without buying extra equipment?”
It is important to figure out an exercise routine, because maintaining a good level of cardiovascular and muscular fitness can have several benefits including:
- Boosting your immune system
- Stress relief
- Providing a fun, in-home activity for you and your family to enjoy together
Exercise is great for your mental health, too!
Here are three ways to stay active while at home:
- Streaming equipment optional workouts from your TV or Internet: There are several free options for cardio, yoga and strength training. Do a quick search for a workout that works best for you.
- Tabata workouts: These are 4-minute workouts that includes 20 seconds of very high intensity cardio followed by 10 seconds of rest. These cardio moves can be body weight exercises such as jumping jacks, high knees, running in place, burpees, mountain climbers, etc. You repeat this cycle 8 times for a total of 4 minutes for a very short, intense workout. You can complete several rounds of 4 minute workouts for an increased challenge.
- Body weight strength training: Don’t forget how much our bodies actually weigh! Exercises such as pushups, squats, lunges, calf raises, planks, dead lifts, bridges, etc. You can also use your stairs for step ups/downs or to increase the difficulty with the above exercises.
Just remember that doing something at home is better than doing nothing! Don’t be afraid to try something different or creative because, let’s face it, no one else is watching!